Friday, December 30, 2011

The Sight of Larry

The father of a friend of mine was still a young man when we were teenagers. Larry had married quite young and started his family. So while my friend and I were teens, Larry was still like a big kid himself and loved to have fun. Larry was the kind of man who threw responsibility to the wind to entertain us teens and treated me as kind as a father himself. Larry once loaned me a motorcycle so I could join a ride with my friends. When I didn't have a car once, he offered to let me drive his Beetle Bug. I refused the offer of course, but that was just the kind heart Larry had. The first time I ever drove a truly hot rodded vehicle, it was a Chevy truck that Larry asked me to take on an errand for him. I've been sick with powerful engines ever since. Larry let me take out his chopper three wheeler for a ride. Larry was brotherly kind to me and the other teens, putting our enjoyment before any concern of personal liability. He stuck his neck out, but the memories he gave me are cherished high points of a teen's life.

But Larry had suffered from manic depression all his life. As jovial as he was, the illness wore him down like grinding wheel on his spirit. One day I got the news that Larry had killed himself. He left a note saying he was just tired. I was overcome with grief because he was such a friend.

One day many years later, I was sharing with a fellow trucker my memories of Larry and what a kind man he was, how he was so kind and charitable to us teens. I lowered my head and mused to my companion, "Maybe one day God will let me see Larry again." In the next instant I was struck by a vision that I know was a gift from God. I saw Larry's face appearing to me against a gold background. Larry was smiling at me really big as if he knew I was recalling him in loving ways and words of praise for his kind ways. And the thing that really got me was there was a prominent gap between his front teeth. I had forgotten that he had a gap in his teeth. But there he was so clearly for a few moments!

I rejoiced that I saw Larry and God had answered my request in an instant. I knew then that Larry is alive with Jesus. I had been concerned because Larry had committed suicide under the weight of manic depression. But I saw his smiling face against the backdrop of the golden cloud of Glory and knew right then he was in the presence of Jesus. Obviously Jesus had sympathized and understood Larry's sufferings and gave Larry his loving grace, even though Larry had taken his own life. Yes the grace of God is there even for people who die this way. Larry had always been a serious believer and trusted in his Baptist upbringing. He loved Jesus, and I know Jesus loves Larry too.

No comments:

Post a Comment